Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Pearlington Update - 4th trip

I meant to write an update of some of the people that we have met along the way and I sidetracked myself. I figured it was better to finish that thought and try again. Here goes...

Following on most of the people are returning volunteers, within 2 minutes of walking into the dining tent, I am asked the question "do you remember me? you seem familar." Pastor Kevin Porter along with DCE Christian are here from Germantown, PA along with a group of adults. I think after they rode the whole way from Philly with the kids in the car, they decided to fly down on this trip. Kevin is on his fifth trip to Pearlington.

I gave Dallas a call yesterday and she came by for a quick visit with us while we worked over at Lester Dell's. Dallas has lost 46 pounds since January and is looking to lose another 40 pounds. She is full of stories as always. Her neighbor, Kendra, is finally in her house. We helped with Kendra's house 18 months ago putting in the windows, doors, and building a deck. A PDA group either 6 months or a year ago was painting her house. What a slow pace the residents have to endure waiting on a group of volunteers capable of helping...

We haven't driven around too much; we have a lot of work to do at Lester's house. He has plans to have his family over for Easter Sunday. We are getting him close enough to be able to host friends and family at his house. We will visit with all of the families that we know - the Thompson's, the Dawsey's, the Lee's. Hopefully, we don't have to stay with them too long so that we can finish what we have started this week. Jane, I will update you better when I get some decent information to update.

We haven't seen Miss Susie, but need to check on her. There is a lot of work to do and a lot of people to visit from our previous trips. I like coming here, but I wish the work was done. In previous trips, the volunteer line waiting on lunch at the Baptist church is out the door. This week, we barely hold one line inside. I pray that this week is just a slow week. Rev Rawls continues his calling to feed lunch to the volunteers. He and his wife continue to prepare lunch each weekday and he greets everyone entering with a warm handshake and smile and welcome.

Pearlington and other places around still need your help. If you can spare the time, then come on down. I can help with directions or anything to convince you. Once you come to Pearlington, you will come back. Everyone traveling in our group has been here at least once before. I didn't do a good job convincing anyone else, but the group here didn't have to be convinced. Are you listening to your call for mission? Even if not here in Pearlington, how are you using your blessed time and talents?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the news.I am totally bummed to miss the Germantown crew. Is Eileen Jones there, too? Tell them I said Hi and they are in my book. Heather Dungey, the village manager a year ago writes a blog (Seek the King)...She is working at Laginappe Presbyterian church in BSL. Says that church is about to transition from disaster recovery to community building. It would be cool if we could do that. Once the camp is gone we could still go visit to help the community with vacation bible schools or after school tutoring, stuff like that. Talk to Eileen Jones or Kevin about it. Jane