Thursday, April 16, 2009

Pearlington PDA Village #6 closing in October 2009

After almost 4 years helping residents in Pearlington, the camp will likely be closed because Hancock County will not renew the occupancy permit for the temporary facilities of the PDA at the former post office along Hwy 607 in Pearlington. Here is a copy of the letter that our church received.

This letter shows the helpful spirit that Hancock County has shown the organizations "from outside" that have tried to help. In many ways, Hancock County feels insulted that outside organizations have stayed. But, if the county helped its residents more then the organizations wouldn't feel the need to stay. I believe that organizations like PDA, One House At a Time, and the PRC have helped a lot more residents find grant and relief money and get FEMA trailers and now MEMA cottages than the county did.

Yes, the Storm would have overwhelmed any county staff, especially as small and rural as Hancock County. But, rather than support the organizations, they are business as usual.

Maybe Hancock County is trying to get back to normal; whatever that now is. And, the temporary pod structure that PDA set up needs to go away. Maybe, PDA should have planned a more permanent facility. Maybe, PDA should plan some kind of facility to help the community develop. Jane Els put some of these ideas in my head; they are settling in better after my initial disappointment with the county. The county caused some issues when PDA was restoring the camp after Gustav. I guess that we should have gotten the message.

I have been to Pearlington 4 times, and our church has been on 6 trips there. I don't feel like an outsider while I am there. I know where most of the streets are and I know people on both sides of the highway. We will work hard to get travelers there to finish the 49 cases still open, but the summertime is a struggle there with the climate.

I think that the conspiracy theory that Stennis Space Center was disappointed that groups like PDA came to Pearlington and is a thorn to their land grab for buffer is probably a good theory. Just like ignoring the rebuilding of Ninth Ward will lead to it being largely left alone, maybe in the end Pearlington should have been left. The next destruction by any type of storm will certainly highlight that direction.

Pearlington PDA has allowed me to connect with other Presbyterian churches across the country. I now have friends in TX and PA to connect with on a regular basis. Maybe, that was a good thing for me. And, I now have a reason to stop in at Pearlington on my drives across I-10.

I will see you in Pearlington for the next few months working hard to finish the 49 cases. See you there!

No comments: