Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Smaller Group to Pearlington

Originally, we had split into 2 groups because I figured that we could start expanding the size of our groups to go. But, that expansion didn't happen. Only my name was listed on the week of October 5th. Therefore, I cancelled that week and was able to get Penny Noel to add a couple of spots for us on the week of October 12th.

I am excited to go, even if only to visit with the families and friends that we have met previously. They kept in touch before and after Gustav and expressed concern for us with Hanna. I am conflicted about what our role as volunteers should be going forward. The elevated houses did fine, but what about the ground level that were flooded again. I think that we work to move them to higher ground, either by elevating their house or moving to a different place.

In the articles with residents, I sensed a bit of fatalism after Gustav because they have been flooded out 2 times in almost exactly three years. The PDA staff is working very hard to get things back together for all of the volunteers. As tired as they must be, they are keeping their individual blogs updated and sending out emails to the volunteer groups.

Keep everyone in your prayers down there. We will be back soon. If interested in going during the week of Oct 12th, please let me know.

No comments: