Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Going Back in October

I now have a very good blog-pal in Texas, Jane Els. We communicate back and forth on our blogs and email. Our group met her while we were at Pearlington for the first week of April (if you read any earlier posts, then that statement is obvious). She has a mountain of energy and is always looking ahead. She has already talked 20 people from her church to go back to Pearlington in October (October 7 - 13). I guess that the presentation that she made last week about her mission trip to Pearlington had a good effect.

I am going to organize a group from our church to go that same week. I have already received good responses from 4 or 5. We may get the last 20 spots for that week. Barely in May, the camp in Pearlington that will hold about 75 is almost fully reserved for that week in October. That continued response more than 20 months after Katrina highlights the compassion and energy of the American people and Christians.

I would have liked to go back in June, but I wasn't getting as enthusiastic a response to going then because of the triple-H (hot, hazy, and humid) in June plus I was running into schedule difficulties. Deciding the sacrifice that you have to make along with others around you is a problem. To say selfish is a strange word, but I did get inspired after I went, so I am encouraged to go again. I found that I could help. My wife and family were at home and didn't get to experience the inspiration of the residents and the power of volunteers. I might be selfish to want to get back and miss out on family events like seeing our new nephew or my great-grandparents. So, with others hesitation and my own debate, I am not pushing for June. But, I do not like waiting until October. Maybe before then, I can sneak down there to check on things.

The Volunteer Village #6 in Pearlington is evidently very miserable in July and August. So, we are back to October as the next time. I hope that the residents can continue to be patient and have hope. We are afraid of the heat, but they have to continue with their current setup.

I have no idea if anyone reads this blog, but if you are reading this post, and you can free yourself from other obligations during Oct 7 - 13, then leave a comment or send me an email. We will keep a seat on the bus or Expedition for you from Summerville, SC.

No comments: