Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The Challenge

I mentioned a week ago that I suggested a date to our group about going back to Pearlington from Oct 7 - 13 to meet up with Jane's group from TX. I do not know if Jane is the leader of the group there, but she is our contact point. For now, I will call them her group. Fortunate for us probably, Jane is a bit more proactive and forward-thinking to plan ahead. I have a feeling that we were several weeks or months away from deciding on a date amongst ourselves.

The Mighty 13, so named by Cheryl B upon our departure from Pearlington because 13 of us went from Dorchester Pres, should expand to the Mighty 20 or 21 for the trip in October. We booked up the last available slots at the PDA Village in Pearlington for that week in October. Already about 8 people have committed to go on the trip.

The first challenge is to get the word out and confirm 20 people to help rebuild for a week. If I need to give a presentation each week and keep talking to everyone individually to keep everyone interested, then I will get a lot more rehearsed in the presentation each week.

I would like to find out if anyone is reading these posts. I have fun writing down my thoughts about Pearlington each week, but it is nice to know that someone is reading. In Jane's reply of excitement that we had reserved the slots for the same time, she mentioned coordinating meals because the groups rotate the chores at the camp (breakfast, dinner, devotions, and cleanup). So...

Here's the fun challenge: what about a little food competition between "everything is bigger" in TX and "we do things proper" in SC? How about TX BBQ (brisket, sausage ...) vs. SC BBQ (mustard-based pulled pork)? My mouth is watering while I type. After one trip there, I now expect to gain weight not lose weight. We will do some good work that week - too bad it can't be next week. Based on our last trip, I know that the Mighty crew from DPC will win the snoring competition each night.

Let me know your ideas and thoughts by leaving a comment.

No comments: